Monday, March 12, 2012

March Madness: 220 reasons

When it comes to sanding projects I will be the first to admit that I am no expert.  So when I decided to refurb buffy and the twins, I wanted to be sure I did a good a job.  I turned to the internet and several DIY blogs for suggestions on the best way to refurb wood and veneer furniture.  It didn't take long before I landed on 2 different Pro-Grade sandpapers, meet 80 and 220...

I started with 80 Grit sandpaper which is very course.  This stuff works wonders, even on veneer, but does leave a very rough surface.  Enter 220 Grit!  This stuff is, in a word, I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E!   220 Grit is very fine and meant to smooth out rough surfaces.  Within no time all three pieces went from gritty and rough to smooth and flush.  It's hard to tell from photo's but the left was sanded with 80 Grit and the right with 80 and 220 Grit...
The door on the left sanded with 80, the door on the right sanded with 80 and 220...
The proof is not in the pictures, but in the feel.  The smooth finish of all 3 pieces made them feel like new.
Along the way I'm learning just how messy sanding projects are.  
With the sanding projects complete I can move on to painting, priming and staining!  These babies are getting SO CLOSE to being done!

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment